January 5, 2010
1. Every Wednesday I publish a pregnancy column where I talk about pregnancy and pregnant ladies and what pregnant ladies are wearing and let me just clarify right now: I am not pregnant right now, nor have I ever been.
2. I really like writing this column, though, I like finding really wonderful maternity pieces and newborn gear and also, I am moderately envious that there is an entire branch of fashion which promotes ladies sticking their tummies out and beaming. I have a tummy! I like to beam! But because my tummy isn’t made of PERSON it’s just not as cute.
3. When I had been writing the column for thirty or so weeks I heard from my older sister for the first time in a long time.
4. She was thirty weeks pregnant.
5. My initial reaction was sadness, because I hadn’t realized we were so far out of touch she could move across the country (she had) and gestate an entire person (she had) without my knowing.
6. That’s not a trend I want to encourage in my life. One of my goals for this year was to be warmer and I think when I say warmer I mean closer and when I say closer I mean kinder, more considerate, more involved.
7. I have said this 100 times already but honestly all I want to do with my adult life is to go back to the person I was when I was eighteen: full of hope, endlessly supportive, open, optimistic, inquisitive, unfailingly kind.